Elaine Hatfield is a professor of psychology at the University of Hawai’i and past-president of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sex. In recent years she has received Distinguished Scientist Awards (for a lifetime of scientific achievement) from the Society of Experimental Social Psychology, the Society for the Scientific Study of Sex, and the University of Hawai‘i, and the Alfred Kinsey Award from the Mid-Western Region of SSSS. In 2012 she will receive the Association for Psychological Science William James award for a lifetime of scientific achievement. Two of her books have won the American Psychological Association's National Media Award.
Recently, Drs. Hatfield and Richard L. Rapson (who are husband and wife) have collaborated on three books: Love, Sex, and Intimacy: Their Psychology, Biology, and History (HarperCollins) Emotional Contagion (Cambridge University Press), and Love and Sex: Cross-Cultural Perspectives (Allyn & Bacon).
Dr. Hatfield’s first novel, Rosie, was published by Sterling House in June 2000. In recent years, she’s published more than forty-five poems and short stories in American, Canadian, Australian, and Indian literary magazines. She has published a dozen serious novels and detective stories.
- Close Relationships
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Interpersonal Processes
- Law and Public Policy
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Berscheid, E., & Hatfield, E. (1978). Interpersonal attraction (2nd ed.). Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Hatfield, E., & Rapson, R. (1996). Love and sex: Cross-cultural perspectives. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Hatfield, E., Cacioppo, J., & Rapson, R. L. (1994). Emotional contagion. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Hatfield, E., & Rapson, R. L. (1993). Love, sex, and intimacy: Their psychology, biology, and history. New York: HarperCollins.
- Carlson, J. G., & Hatfield, E. (1992). Psychology of emotion. New York: Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich.
- Hatfield, E., & Sprecher, S. (1986). Mirror, mirror: The importance of looks in everyday life. New York: SUNY Press.
- Griffitt, W., & Hatfield, E. (1984). Human sexual behavior. Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman & Company.
- Hatfield, E., Walster, G. W., & Berscheid, E. (1978). Equity: Theory and research. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Hatfield, E., & Walster, G. W. (1978). A new look at love. Lanham, MD: University Press of America.
- Hatfield, E., & Rapson, R. L. (2005). Social justice and the clash of cultures. Psychological Inquiry, 16(4), 172-175.
- Browning, J. R., Hatfield, E., Kessler, D., & Levine, T. (2000). Sexual motives, gender, and sexual behavior. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 29, 135-153.
- Hatfield, E., & Sprecher, S. (1996). Men’s and women’s preferences in marital partners in the United States, Russia, and Japan. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 26, 728-750.
- Choo, P., Levine, T., & Hatfield, E. (1996). Gender, love schemas, and reactions to romantic break-ups. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 11, 143-160.
- Introductory Social Psychology
- Love and Sex: Cross Cultural Perspectives
- Love and Sex: Historical Perspectives
Elaine C. Hatfield
Department of Psychology
3334 Anoai Place
University of Hawaii
Honolulu, HI 96822
- Phone: (808) 956-6276
- Fax: (808) 956-4700
- Email: Elainehatfield582@gmail.com